I think everyone loves to see “before and after” pictures, especially when they are about transformations from something ugly and unusable to something beautiful and functional. (We also seem fascinated by the before and after of disasters, but there is enough of that in the news). These are my before and after photographs of my fibre studio, or my Spider’s Workshop.
The building was the old pump house my father had built for the farm when he first moved here. About six years ago we removed the pump, tiled the floor and put on a new door so I could use it for spinning. It had open windows and gaps in the ceiling so unfortunately would fill with dust. Because it was hard to keep clean I stopped using it for spinning and left it for storage.
However with all my new fibre tools I needed a space to work and ventured back into the room to see what could be done.
The first job was to clean it out and remove five years of spiders; that was not pleasant.
Behind a wooden box used as shelves there were hundreds. I felt like I was in a Steven King book. There were even some mice skeletons in the cobwebs.
Once it was all clean I painted it with left over paint from the house, while my husband made Plexiglas windows, (also from leftovers) to stop the dust from coming in. He also made me some shelves and work tables, (from more leftovers).
For a couple of days I thought it looked like a breeze block room painted pretty colours, and not the studio I was dreaming of. But once I moved all my stuff in, it started to feel like a space I could work and create in. And in case I was having doubts, when asked at my daughters new school my “profession”, my husband answered “Artist”.